This week on the WarriorU Podcast, we welcome former member of the Australian Army and long-time friend of host Bram Connolly, Trent Burnard. We will hear about his decades of experience in combat training, structures and situations.
This episode we’ll discuss a range of topics relating to platoon leadership, including leading as a brand-new platoon commander, relationships with Senior NCO’s and their wider impact within a platoon as a leader.
- Leading as a brand-new platoon commander.
- The wider impacts of such leadership within a platoon.
- Platoon Sergeant and senior NCO’s.
- The role of Platoon Sergeant and Senior NCO’s.
- The difference between operational and life experience.
- High speed and low speed of Senior NCO’s.
- The rules of the Platoon Sergeant’s leadership and listening to advice.
- Soldiers themselves are an eclectic mix of fitness levels, standards, professionalism, personalities and enthusiasm.
- The role is a relationship job and needs to understand this.
- Development management and high-performance culture.
3 Key Points:
- The role of a senior NCO.
- It is a relationship job and knowing your soldiers is essential.
- The importance of counselling skills.
- “As the commander, your job is to assess the information before you, and that includes the advice of your senior NCOs” – Trent Burnard
- “Being a Platoon Commander is a relationships job” – Trent Burnard
- “Counselling is so important and it needs to be done correctly.” – Trent Burnard
Podcast Produced by Pretty Podcasts